5.27.2009

Supreme Court Upholds No on Prop 8


On Friday, October 24th, 2008, Apple wrote the following. . .
"Apple is publicly opposing Proposition 8 and making a donation of $100,000 to the No on 8 campaign. Apple was among the first California companies to offer equal rights and benefits to our employees’ same-sex partners, and we strongly believe that a person’s fundamental rights — including the right to marry — should not be affected by their sexual orientation. Apple views this as a civil rights issue, rather than just a political issue, and is therefore speaking out publicly against Proposition 8."
Apple is one of the most successful corporations in our country, and they took positive steps a long time ago to recognize the right to be in love, to be married, to be recognized! Today the Supreme Court upheld the decision to ban gay marriages in California. How can the same court a year ago basically say "gay is okay" and now it was okay for only some but not for all? Thankfully, those married in that small time frame will still have their union be recognized as a legal marriage in our state, while others are denied the same right to be wed. I think everyone is entitled to their opinions, but when it comes to discrimination, hate, prejudice it just makes no sense to me. And don't even begin to tell me that the Bible say its wrong, please. How can we have an all loving God, oops, except if you are gay? I'm sorry, that is not my God.


This sign was in my front yard last year during election time, right there in my garden. I'm not gay nor is my oldest daughter Brande, not that it really matters. Brande headed up the campaign for "NO on Prop 8" here in Long Beach. We just believe in human rights, it's that simple, really. Shouldn't "love" be celebrated, without being over shadowed with clouds of hatred? There is a blog I follow, called, Mommy With a Penis(www.mommywithapenis.blogspot.com). I can't get the link to work, sorry. I'm sure if you are already not happy with what I have to say, that one probably really added to the fire. But what is so very brillant about this blog is here you have two bright successful men, in love, married, who have adopted two loving children and they are awesome parents. I just don't understand "how" you can tell them, and many others in their same situation that it is wrong to fall in love, to wish to get married, to have children, how can that be wrong? I know in my heart that "my" God doesn't believe it's wrong.


I look at the picture above and I'm sadly reminded that this photo wasn't taken that long ago. Has history not been a lesson, have we not learned that people are people regardless of things like color or sexual preference? I know in my heart, and I believe that sooner or later gay marriage will be legal thoughout all of the United States. I'll keep that hope alive for the year 2010,this isn't over yet. And I will not lose the HOPE in my heart for my friends,for my sister and her partner, and for others that are simply "in love". There are better days ahead, there has to be! "I Have a Dream" MLK

8 comments:

Malisa said...

Thank you for saying what needs to be said! I'm a blue girl in a red state, but it is unbelievable that CALIFORNIA is making such a public statement! This is a wake up call for more of us to get off our asses and get involved in political action! I love that you inserted that photo of the drinking fountains. That photo drives home the point that prejudice is prejudice! By the way, I remember those fountains from when I was a kid. What a terrible thing!

Malisa

The Texas Woman said...

I type on a MAC and proud of it! Go Apple!

The Texas Woman

Debbie's Garden said...

That was very well said. I believe the Bible teaches TOLERANCE. We werent' all put on this earth to judge each other.

The Texas Woman said...

H8 - California's propositon 8 (the bill to make gay marriage illegal), as described by opponents of prop 8. Creates the word "hate" when read aloud.

Word of the Day in UrbanDictionary.com. Thought you might like it!

The Texas Woman

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Hi Sue, the fact that you are always saying what you think is one of the reasons why you tagged you! Hope you are willing to play and share some "secrets"...stop by our blog when you have a minute to play!
Marcela & Clara

trash talk said...

Walt Disney once said that if we wanted to see the future all we had to do was look at California. I hope he was wrong on this one. Marriage is more than just sex...it's a need to have someone to depend on, take care of and grow old with. Why deny anyone that right and just for the record, who gets to decide what is right and wrong? The government? I don't think so. Before they can be sit in as judge and jury, a little cleaning around their own back door needs to be attended to first.
Debbie

Malisa said...

Did you say backdoor, Trash Talk? I'm leaving that one alone! Just clean up around it, folks!

Malisa

Teresa said...

And that is why we love you, Sue. You tell it like it is, and say what needs to be said.

And Cher, thanks for sharing the "word of the day" ... how appropriate.