10.25.2010

High Hopes

Katie has worked the past five days at Country Roads, which we all know is never easy. Plus she has baby Bodhi at home and Riley. I offered to take Riley to pre-school this morning for her. Riley & I love to sing together in the car. Usually she will pick a favorite song, and we will play it over and over again until we reach our destination. This mornings song was by Michael Franti, "The Sound of Sunshine"! It's a great song about waiting for the storms to pass and the sun shining down on us! As we sang it all the way to school, it was just one of those moments I will remember sharing with Riley. You know, for me, it is always the small, simple random acts of kindness in life that touch my heart the deepest. One of my dealers, Nancy, had come in yesterday and gave me this little altered book she had made. It happened to have my last name Jackson on it.And as if that wasn't enough, she wrote me the beautiful note attached to the book as well. Often times people wonder "why" Country Roads is so much more than a store, but more like family. This is one example why!Riley and I finally reached her pre-school after singing our song about "sunshine" five or six times. Her school, "Sun & Fun" is in Old Towne Seal Beach, a couple of blocks from the beach. As we walked in, her teacher, Miss Victoria, always has music playing. My days are always better when they are filled with music. As I helped Riley put away her backpack and gave her a kiss good-bye and walked outside to leave, I heard another song. It was that old Frank Sinatra song, "High Hopes"! As a kid, my mom (pictured above) ALWAYS sang that song. Funny how random things happen, how this particular song was playing at just the right time!

HIGH HOPES!

Next time you're found, with your chin on the ground
There a lot to be learned, so look around

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can't
Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time you're gettin' low
'stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

When troubles call, and your back's to the wall
There a lot to be learned, that wall could fall

Once there was a silly old ram
Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram, scram
He kept buttin' that dam

but he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time you're feelin' bad
'stead of feelin' sad
Just remember that ram
Oops there goes a billion kilowatt dam

All problems just a toy balloon
They'll be bursted soon
They're just bound to go pop

Oops there goes another problem kerplop
Oops, there goes another problem kerplop
Oops, there goes another problem kerplop
Kerplop!
It really is true what people say. Don't sweat the small stuff because in the end they don't really matter. Capture those moments that mean something to you, and tuck them tightly in your heart so they never escape. I came across the picture above, it's me and Riley a couple of years ago at Disneyland. Those are memories that are still in my heart from that afternoon. We were at Playhouse Disney and Riley was sitting in my lap on the floor in total awe while watching the show! We'll all be okay if we just keep those "High Hopes" in our hearts! I promise you!!

8 comments:

The Boston Lady said...

Sue, you always lift my spirits! Great post and thank you for raising awareness on your sidebar about bullying and how damaging it is to all involved. Ann

Maureen said...

What a heartwarming post.

Mary said...

I totaly agree with you! Mary :O)

Malisa said...

I will be singing High Hopes all day long now!!! I loved your post today. I am so glad that you have your family close and can share those special moments. Riley will remember those special times long after we are all gone! What special memories you are creating for her! By the way, what a sweet dealer that made you that altered book. Her words just said it all!

time worn interiors said...

Over the past year I've tried my best to change myself! I am trying very hard not to sweat the small stuff. And I am trying with all my might to love more and live a happier life! So far it's working pretty good, but I have to admit I do fall off the wagon sometimes! Hope your night it filled with happiness!
Theresa
aka:TOT

Full Bloom Cottage said...

HI Sue
I agree.... Don't sweat the small stuff... Also stop to take a look around because life sure will pass you by in a blink of an eye!!
We are sometimes so busy running here and there, sometimes it nice to have reminders! What a great way to put a smile on your face!
See you around!
-loretta

Lisa Loria said...

So sweet Sue! And True.
Random gifts are the best.
I will be singing that song all day. We always have music on every day in my home. The ipods sometimes compete, but we all respect each other.
Great to see you...can't wait to come down again.
The store looks great!
Tell Tim and Lisa to GET on IT and get a blog...I could have linked to them in my post and would be happy to.
Hugs,
Lisa

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Those grand babies of yours are really lucky kids...