6.17.2010

Old Advertising Stuff

I LOVE old advertising pieces. While some people collect art and use it to grace the walls of their homes, my home is filled with vintage advertising pieces. I guess you can say, I look at some of the old advertising pieces as "folk art", one of a kinds. The sign above is one of my very favorites. It is in a small bathroom off the hall that is decorated with a beachy theme. I saw something yesterday about old advertising and it made me take a second look at what I've collected and filled my home with over the years. Below are just a few (yes, I have quite a bit of this stuff)of some of my favorite advertising pieces.








Sometimes when I'm at Country Roads and chatting with my customers they will ask me what do I collect. Maybe because I've got that whole "blonde, left-handed, Gemini" thing going I like to collect a lot of different things, including old surfboards out around my pool. I am trying to thin out a few things that I've fallen out of love with or really just had a quickie fling with, and am no longer interested in them! But some of my stuff, well, I don't think I could ever part with them. So, if I some day show up on the show "Hoarders" you will know that I warned you ahead of time. I just think in our homes, we not only need to surround ourselves with those we love, but the old vintage stuff we love as well. And hey, if you need a little extra cash you can always sell it! That is a good reason to be a hoarder, right? I think it is most definitely and excellent reason!!

7 comments:

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Sell what for cash? the loved ones or the old stuff????...

Maureen said...

I love old advertising stuff. I often buy things and live with them for a while and then turn around and sell them.

Malisa said...

You have got to stop those "brief flings"...they will get you in trouble every time! :)

Can't wait to show you my new beer joint sign! It would fit right in with your signs!

Tanza said...

Hi Sue,
I just LoVe when you share your collections .. I LoVe all the beachy stuff .. Soo much of it reminds me of being a little girl, when life was just plain easy .. And, all of it just goes with the fact that we live in CA .. near the beaches .. Your home is so comfy and liveable .. LoVe when you give us peeks ..

Pssst ... I think I'm a hoarder too .. hahaha ...
HuGs ~tanza~

Anne Lorys said...

I love that stuff, too!
Great collection!

Debbie's Garden said...

I cant help laughing at those swimming caps. Remember having to wear them? Some pools REQUIRED that you wear them. straps under your chin, shoving your hair in them. Ouch.

Unknown said...

Adore all these old signs! Charming!