4.22.2012

Rescued Pets


That's my old "Sally the Cabana Dog" pictured above on Thursday afternoon. She loved to sit with me out in my backyard and watch the sun slowly set as night fall began. We've been doing this routine forever.  On Friday night, Sally had gone outside around 10pm. I went out to check on her, and she was confused and had trouble walking. I believe she had a stroke. I got her back inside and she just slept without moving. She wasn't in pain, but I knew the end had come for my old 14 year old buddy. Or as Riley always called her, "old girl".  I said my good-byes yesterday morning as I left with a heavy heart and headed out to Country Roads. I knew it was the last time I would see my old girl. Bryce was coming to get her to take her to the vet.

I'm not writing this post for everyone to feel sorry for me or sad. After all, Sally was fourteen and had lived a long happy life! I'm writing this to urge people that want a cat or dog to go a shelter or a rescue group. When I got Sally, it was less than a year after my divorce, and my other two dogs had died. I went down to the Seal Beach Animal Shelter. For some reason, Sally caught my eye. I was told she was found wandering around Main street in Old Towne Seal Beach. I went back home and picked up Bryce to see what he thought about adopting her. At the time Bryce was only 14 years old! Yes, my old girl was with us a long time. We made the decision to have Sally join our family.  So the thoughts and message I want to leave with all of you is if you are looking for a family pet, a cat or dog, PLEASE go to shelters or rescue groups. There are so many dogs and cats just waiting for a forever home. And like Sally, they will warm your heart each and every day! 

8 comments:

Kristin @ Yellow Bliss Road said...

Oh Sue, I'm so sorry. I wish I had known yesterday I would have given you a big hug! Our pets are part of our family, I'm sure your sweet dog will be greatly missed.

{{{Hugs}}}

Maureen said...

Wonderful message.

My heart hurts for you because I've been there a few times too.

The Boston Lady said...

I am very sorry to hear about Sally and her passing. You gave her such a wonderful life, Sue. Rescue dogs make the best companions and pets. Hope your heart is not too heavy. Ann

Shabby chic Sandy said...

She looks like a sweetie! I am sorry for your loss--but happy for you for the time you had with her!

Anonymous said...

Sally has been a fixture at your side for so many years, I am saddened to hear of her departure from your loving home. May you find happiness in the thought that you rescued her, as she probably rescued you a bit too.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sue,
I'm so sorry for your loss!!~
My sweet girl was 14 when she past away from cancer. It was heartbreaking! These sweet animals really work themselves into our hearts, and they make our lives infinitley better!
And I completely agree with you about going to the animal shelters to find a pet. These precious babies are just aching for someone to take them home and love them!!~
My thoughts are with you and the family.
Sincerely,
Melinda

Patty said...

Look at those wonderful ears ! I bet you were able to tell her all your troubles during those sunsets...and she listened closely. How lucky you both have been. Just about all our pets have been road-found and yard drops. They are loved as if they were high priced pedigrees ! And when their time comes to cross over we are crushed, speechless for days, constant tears. My heart goes out to you.

patty

Vintage Market Place said...

oh I couldn't agree with you more SUE!
All our cats have been rescued kitties, I would never think of getting an animal from any place else.

It is funny our fat cat still loves sit in his travel cage, it must be some kind of flashback for him to be in there.

lets hope that this post will even change one persons mind about purchasing animals from shops.
Amy