12.12.2008

Hope Speech

"Without hope, not only gays, but those who are blacks, the Asians, the disabled, the seniors -- the 'us's' -- without hope the 'us's' give up. I know that you can't live on hope alone, but without it, life is not worth living. And you, and you, and you have got to give them hope." - Harvey Milk, "Hope Speech," 1978

You know, last time I posted my feelings about Prop 8, I wondered if I should have done so or not. But in hindsight I'm glad I did. I think the quote above sums up my feelings. I think I was pretty naive when it came to Prop 8 in that I was sure it would be defeated. I was really saddened that it passed, and still am. I sincerely "hope" with all my heart that it will be overturned. Prejudice and discrimination, and inequality is what Prop 8 was about. And it isn't "just" about gays, but it is about everyone, think about that. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. And I'm "hoping" our courts will do the right thing when it comes to Prop 8's defeat. Harvey Milk made that speech 30 years ago. How can we still live in a world filled with prejudice? I will never understand.

No comments: